A place to discover poetry and stories inspired by Gods Way of Love

Sunday, April 25, 2010

In the weeds .... !

Back when I was a bartender, we had a very famous saying which was " I'm in the weeds". This was code for " I'm really really busy on my side of the bar, and I'm not sure if I can handle it. PLEASE someone come and help me !!!! of course the cool bartender cannot say that out loud for the guests to hear, ( now I have let out the secret) hence he shouts to his other co bartender " I'm in the weeds".

This saying made me smile yesterday when I was in the garden clearing out the beds, in preparation for new planting ... Why ? because again, but now in my new life,this saying had come full circle and I was again ' in the weeds'. Only this time I was literally in the weeds, covered in stinging, sticky, dangly, stringy, strong green plants, which we call ' Weeds'. What is the difference between a plant and a weed ? maybe just the spelling !

I'm learning that weeds which grow in your garden are not just an annoying plant which can inhibit the growth of other plants because of their power, but they are in fact our ticket into the world of ' Super Foods '. We are accustomed by now to the ever increasing popular demand of super foods sold from all corners of the world like Maca, Cacao, Goji berries, Inca berries, Blue green algae, Camu camu and so on, which are all really amazing, high vibrational, condensed high powered mineral rich foods, which you can take to increase your vitality in one small hit.

BUT HEY ! ... what about going local ? weeds grow wild, free and are probably growing on your door step . There are so many weeds to share, so I intend to write them over a series of blogs, popping up here and there as weeds do, so you don't get too much too soon. Then you can go foraging for your own green powered super food to add to your favourite salads or dressings, and become strong as a weed.

Lets start with the ...

Chickweed - Named this because chickens like to eat it of course !

Where to find it ? - I found it spread all over in the green houses, growing wild in between many different plants. It can also grow out in the open on lawns, in sunny areas and in partially shaded habitats.

What does it look like ? - It grows low to the ground, forming mats around 16 inches long. It has small pointed oval leaves 1 inch long.













When can I find it growing ? - All year round... its a trooper !

Nutritional value ? - vitamins A,D,C and B complex and Rutin. Also in the mix we have iron, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, sodium, copper, and silica.

Medicine Magic ? Chickweed is really great for your skin, so get it in your diet to be radiant ! It can also be applied externally, chopped finely, added in a bandage for cuts, burns, rashes and eczema. Change the bandage often. It is also an old wives remedy for obesity

How to eat it ? you can eat it raw in salads or you can make a tea, by filling a 1/4 cup with chickweed, then add boiling water and let steep for 15 mins, then drink your brew.

here is my chickweed super food dressing - in a blender add ...

1 Avocado
1/4 cup olive oil
1 squeeze of lemon
1/4 cup Chickweed
2 table spoons of spirulina
pinch of salt

.... blend til smooth .... easy! Add to a salad to super charge it.

As soon as I found out about this amazing weed (last week), I have been eating it everyday, either wild or made as dressing shown above.

So there we have it ...... the first of many weeds you can now go and explore, pick and eat to add to your list of super foods.

Watch out for more weeds sprouting up on my blog soon ........

Don't kill your weeds ....... Eat them

- Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment